The Rejoice Mission on the Bay team returns to Biloxi in October to help at Loaves and Fishes – a Community Kitchen. We are again collecting new or gently used backpacks or string bags for homeless adults in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Perhaps they’ve been forced from their homes because of a loss of employment due to an economic downturn or a long illness. Perhaps they are one of the many disabled Veterans forced to the streets these days. The Rejoice Backpack Drive is a meaningful way to help those who find themselves making their beds on the beaches and in the woods of this part of Mississippi.
Budget for a loaded backpack – $25
Did you know that, with a little effort, you can pull together a backpack for under $25? Here’s how:
- Find a backpack at a local thrift or dollar store and budget between $1 and $5. The backpack doesn’t need to be fancy (better if it’s not), but it does need to be adult size, functional, without tears and with working zips or Velcro closings.
- Add some warmth and weather protection – a t-shirt, socks, beanies, rain poncho, plastic sheet, bandanna, small fleece blanket. Again, these don’t need to be new, but should be something you would be happy to receive.
- Add some personal hygiene items – toothpaste and brush, razor, toilet paper, bar of soap, ziploc bags. Note: the majority of recipients of the backpacks will be men.
- Add some non-perishable food items – tinned tuna and/or chicken (cans that click open), package of crackers, peanut butter, applesauce, nuts, gum.
- Add some extra love – a personal note of encouragement in whatever form suits you. A small book of promise or a devotional is also a lovely addition.
Assemble your backpack and tag it as either male or female. Bring it to Rejoice before October 19, 2018 and the mission team will arrange transport and delivery via our partners at Loaves and Fishes.